Hello Pot, This is Kettle.

The expression, "pot calling the kettle black" isn't new. But this particular reference comes from a funny moment I witnessed years ago. I often refer to it when I find myself giving advice to others which is advice I need to follow. Isn't it funny when that happens? In motherhood, particularly since our eldest daughter is growing up (much too rapidly for my liking), I seem to be talking to her about different things, but more in a way I wish someone had talked to me about things. I'm parenting the both of us. My tween daughter and my inner tween from 1985. I realised this the other day when we were at an enrolment interview for the girls' school where she wants to attend high school. The principal asked me what we wanted for our daughter, and my response was that we wanted to see her become more confident in herself, because she has so much to offer but it's often hiding behind her lack of confidence. It wasn't until later that I thought about this, and it hit me- that's what I would have wanted someone to say about me at her age. In fact, it's what I STILL want for adult me, which is to be more confident in myself, because I have so much to offer. 

If I stopped to consider all the things I am doing well, instead of only seeing the things I think I am failing to do, perhaps my view of motherhood (and life in general) would change? I am not perfect. I lose my temper, and I also have the patience of a saint. I bite my tongue, and I also say things I shouldn't. I remember things, I forget things. I don't do devotions with my children at every bedtime, pray at every meal. I do too much housework, I do too little housework. I make things from scratch, I make things from jars and packets. We eat lots of vegetables, we sometimes eat none. I fail, I succeed. Like every other person on the planet, I imagine - and knowing that may help me to raise the both of us into confident young (and less young) women.

XO,
Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a relief!

Where Do We Go Next?

Please understand