Moving On

Not much happening here today. My family is getting ready for Dad's memorial service on Saturday, and I so wish I could be there. If I'm not taking care of everyone else's needs, I don't know how to cope with my own grief, really. That's just the way I am. I thought that today I would include a portion of what I wrote for my sister to read at the service, as well as a photo of our little cheeky monkey, who so looks like her PoPo sometimes...
================
The thing about someone dying is that we think about what kind of legacy they leave behind, or what we can learn from their life. Here is a short list of what I have learned from my Dad's life. Some funny, some serious, but all important.
 
- It's okay to cry, and not just for sadness. It's okay to cry when you watch Extreme Home Makeover, any Hallmark movie, commercial, or anything else that stirs your soul.
 
- Laughter is essential in many situations, but may not be as appreciated at certain times. We're a family of jokers, let's face it. That's one of the ways that we handle life. It makes for a challenge, when you're around other people who aren't like that, but it certainly keeps people guessing!
 
- Sometimes, it's better to just say nothing at all, if words are failing you. A hug, a look, or even just shared sadness is enough.
 
- In everything, be obedient to God. Life works out so much better when you are. If I had come home in 2006, when Dad got the cancer diagnosis, I wouldn't have been able to come home to see him again just recently, and he would have missed out on meeting Charlotte. In retrospect, I can see so clearly that I am supposed to be here. I may not always be joyfully obedient, but this experience has taught me that God's way is ALWAYS the best way.
 
- Let other people be in charge, and take care of you. It's good to look after others, but allow them the blessing of being able to care for you. 
 
- Love with your whole self. Even if you get hurt, it's worth it. Life is too short for half-measures. Whatever you do, do it wholeheartedly. If you mess up, then you've just learned what NOT to do.
 
- In spite of all that this world has to offer, Heaven has more. I've learned not to be so short-sighted, and to think about my long-term future. Not the distant future here, but my eternal future. That's probably the most important thing I've learned from my Dad, and it's the last lesson he taught me. He knew where he was going, and now he's there.
 
My Dad, My Friend, My Brother in Christ. I will see him again, and what a joyous reunion it will be - two of God's children, rejoicing for eternity.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a relief!

Where Do We Go Next?

Please understand