Thirty Days of Self-Care

In one of the Facebook groups I have joined, a member posted about a September challenge she was doing. I like the idea, and while I tend to commit to things and then realise I have no capacity, I thought I would do my own version, and write about it. Self-care, as you all know from previous posts, is practically painful a bit of a challenge for me, even at the best of times. Well, the quickest way for me to do something is for someone to tell me I can't. Perhaps it's because I spend time with children, but my brain kind of says "Oh yeah? Watch me." I know, right? SO MATURE.

Surely I can manage thirty days, though.

Self-care for me isn't all pedicures and manicures. It's not a massage (I don't like people touching me), and although my recent mini-break in the city was restorative, it's not a big holiday. No, my self-care is much more basic - things like showering, brushing my teeth, letting my husband buy me things - these are things which take so much effort, like leaving my house, or asking for help. Cancelling an appointment (or not overbooking myself to begin with?), just to have a bit of margin.
Getting up early (before the family), so I have time alone to pray, think, and wake up. Cleaning my house at night after the kids are asleep, so we can start the day in a good place. Napping when necessary. Walking the dog. Visiting with friends. Putting actual jeans on, instead of yoga pants.
Lipstick. Colouring my hair (though admittedly, this is more about my husband than me). Reading a book. Drinking a hot tea or coffee in silence. Organising a cupboard (slightly strange, but the results of it have an extremely positive effect).

Today, on September 1, the first day of spring, my acts of self-care are:

1. Showered.
2. Drank water.
3. Allowed my husband to buy kitchen scales (still watching them on Ebay, and do you know how difficult it is to find analogue scales with Imperial and Metric measurements?!?), wine, and a box of hair dye.
4. Took the time to clear away the "papers I will deal with later" (you know you have one too!)
5. Ate lunch. And fruit.
6. Asked my husband to cook dinner for us tonight.
7. Cleaned my house. I know, this sounds weird - but I love it when my home is tidy, and smells fresh. Plus, when things are organised, our family runs more smoothly, and that is of tremendous benefit to my mental health.

So there you have it. Some things which probably should just be considered successful adulting, but since it's my challenge, I make the rules.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's post, Self-Care on Father's Day (which isn't a day about me at all)

XO,
Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a relief!

Where Do We Go Next?

Please understand