The Magic In The Manger

Life has been a bit all over the shop lately. I'm relying on my faith in God and His almighty plan for my life, while simply doing the best I can with the gifts I've been given. Sometimes that looks like being at church every Sunday, and sometimes it looks like staying at home to care for my husband and children. God's given me the gift of emotional intelligence, empathy, and insightfulness. Sometimes that looks like me seeing that my family need me to be here, and sometimes it looks like me escaping a few hours to Bible study. Neither of those things, (going/not going to church/Bible study) mean that I love God more or less. It means that I take my marriage vows to heart, and I'm simply doing the best I can to work out what that should look like with a husband who does not, at this point in time, share my faith. It's an impossibly difficult situation, but most of the time, I think I get it right. 

The Christmas season is one of those times of the year which I used to enjoy so much, but the pressure I feel to create an atmosphere of magic with the manger at the centre has taken away the joy. I end every Christmas feeling as though I've got it wrong again, because I didn't do a Bible-themed craft every single day, I haven't done daily advent devotions with my children, and yet again, my husband hasn't come to Christ, and my children are equally as excited about presents and food as they are going to church (where there will be more food). 

I grew up believing in Santa (for a short while) and I also grew up going to church. I have very fond memories of candlelit Christmas Eve services, of Christmas hymns, of the excitement of waking up ridiculously early on Christmas day, just knowing that Santa had come. I remember the excitement of the "Christmas Box" coming down from the attic. The smell of baking in the house. Stringing popcorn for our tree. It didn't stop me from becoming a woman who loves God. I think extremes are a bit isolating, and if I put myself into a perfect Christian Christmas bauble (pun intended), then I risk excluding those who might need the manger the most. If I put myself at the other end of the scale, then Christmas becomes just another day, with more sparkle and a whole lot of food. Why does it have to be either/or?

I'm done with beating myself up over Christmas. I'm not an expert on theology, but I'm fairly certain that God doesn't want me to spend Advent in a state of ticking all the Christian boxes so I can feel as though I've done my job. Neither do I think He wants me to ignore the baby in the manger. So where does that leave me?

Blessedly, I have a husband who has a non-consumerist attitude toward Christmas. We both desire to create a Christmas for our children which is magical AND meaningful. So sometimes, it looks like me doing a quick Bible reading with the children, and sometimes it looks like making Christmas cards for our friends. Sometimes it looks like baking treats, and the impromptu chats that happen in the process, and others it looks like attending Christmas carols. Whatever it looks like, I am simply doing the best I can with the family I've been given, with a great, great LOVE. Which is really why there is magic in the manger after all - Love. 

I don't know the "right" way to do it. I only know that I want Love, and not guilt, to be at the centre of our family's Christmas. God sees my heart, and He sees my family. He will honour my intention, as long as my intention is to honour Him. 

Some early morning thoughts, on this chilly November Spring day. 

XO, Sarah


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a relief!

Where Do We Go Next?

Please understand