Us and Them

Current events have been weighing heavily on me of late. Perhaps even heavier though is the knowledge that people I've known for ages aren't responding the way I would have thought. 

Today, I was on my merry way home from playgroup, to clean up my house (which obviously isn't happening, but when the word strikes, you write!). As I approached a busy street in front of a school, I saw a football go over the fence, and roll across the road and come to a stop. The children were gesturing madly, with a look of desperation (isn't everything desperate when you're 9?). 

I could have said, "I've got so much to do." This would not be a lie.

I could have said, "Someone else will surely sort it out." Probably.

I could have said, "But why should I do this for them?" Selfish, but valid question.

I could have said, "That will teach them to be more careful in the future." Well, that would just be plain mean. 

I didn't say any of those things. I took advantage of an empty parking space, pulled over, popped out of the car, assessed the safest route to get it, retrieved the ball, and walked it back over to the school, chucking it to the nearest child. 

I did it because it was the kind, generous, and compassionate response. 

And it seems like that's what the world needs right now. Kindness, generosity, and compassion. 

We can say of refugees, "But we're not taking care of our own people!" Maybe true in part, but is this the fault of people fleeing unspeakable atrocity?

We can say of refugees, "Let them go to another country." Okay, how about suggestions. Simply saying "Not my problem" isn't particularly helpful.

We can say of refugees, "But why should we take them in?" Answer: Because it's the morally decent thing to do. 

We can say of refugees, (and I haven't seen this stated outright, but implied in many posts, comments, and articles) "It's their own fault for being Muslims." This just makes me want to vomit.

Should we just throw open the doors, with no precaution whatsoever? No. I looked both ways before crossing the street, and we should absolutely exercise due caution. But to tell someone, "you can't come here because you are of the Muslim faith" is just wrong. 

How can we tell our children to include others, to show kindness, to treat others as they would like to be treated- and with a straight face and clear conscience turn around and treat these unfortunate souls with such contempt, such fear, such disdain?

It is such a deep and disappointing hurt. I thought we were better than this. We should be. We used to be. To those who say "But the world is a different place now..." You're right. And I believe that it's a different place because we have made it that way. At some point, we made a choice to stop caring about other people, and Us and Them was born. 

I'll be honest. I don't know what the solution is. I'm pretty sure it's not hatred. But maybe a little kindness, generosity, and compassion put into the world would create ripples that will expand and grow, and bring about the change that we desperately need. 

Go out and just be nice, folks. 
Love,
Sarah

Comments

Krista said…
Yes! My Facebook feed has been making me equally parts glad to be a Christian and questioning my taste in friends. I've been leaning liberal more and more lately and this has pretty much just pushed me right off the fence entirely.
And I simply don't understand how people are justifying it in the name of fear. Boggles the mind.
But I'm with you too, time to get off Facebook for awhile, really, it starts to get to your head.
Have a good week!

Popular posts from this blog

What a relief!

Where Do We Go Next?

Please understand