It Wasn't Just an Attic

 Some houses have attics, some don't. A place for dust, mice, spiders, Christmas decorations. A place to keep all the things people don't know what else to do with, or things requiring decisions that people aren't ready to make. It's a place for the "some days" stuff of life. 

For me, the attic was so much more. It was a passage to another world, very Narnia-esque. There were books to read, old clothes to try on, things that came from a different generation. There was an antique baby carriage, vinyl records, boxes of cards from people I didn't know, photo albums, suitcases, and all manner of things. The attic, to me, told the story of my family. It seemed like if I looked, I could find my entire family history in there, and figure out just who I was supposed to be. 

I would sit in the summer, dripping with sweat, poring over books whose titles I can't remember, reading about everything and anything. I would sit in the cold, imagining myself to be Sara Crewe, hidden away in my cold garret waiting for The Magic to come. It was sanctuary. A place where there were no arguments, no raised voices, and I could just be me, without being criticised or dismissed. I could let my mind wander, skipping from one thought to the next, much like Little Red Riding Hood through the forest. It was a place where I felt safe. I became a princess, an orphan, I rode a horse, I solved mysteries. I lived in different times, places. Those hours I spent in the attic were some of the happiest of my childhood.

 I haven't lived in that house for a very long time. The attic was emptied, renovated, and turned into a living space. But the little girl inside of me longs to escape to far away places, even for just an hour. To read, then become, my own story. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a relief!

Where Do We Go Next?

Please understand