Happy New Year to Me!

I'm not saying I've got it all figured out, because I don't. My oldest girl sasses me at every turn (we're working on it!), and the sibling rivalry around these parts is intense. 

I suppose what I am saying is that as we approach the new school year, with its routines, schedules and processes, is that I feel very positive. Last year was a steep learning curve for this mama. First year of kindergarten, first year of preschool, one failure to thrive which resulted in approximately 567 appointments - give or take, and one child who wore socks on her hands most of the year and slept all night maybe once. That means that in the last year, I have slept all night three times. Whatever, I make tired look awesome, and I'm okay with that. 

This year, I have learned that taking care of myself is perhaps the most important thing I can do as a wife and mother. This has been a huge discovery for me. Having to reflect on what it is that I require to have a healthy mind, a healthy body, and a healthy soul is something I haven't done for ages. To really ask myself some hard questions. 

At Inspired to Action, Kat Lee talks about having a mission statement. In creating one, I asked myself the following three questions. 

1. Who Am I?

Follower of Jesus. Wife. Mother.

2. What do I want those to look like?

As a Follower of Jesus, I want my every breath to be an act of worship to my Creator.
As a Wife, I want my every word, every action to be a choice to love, unconditionally and permanently.
As a Mother, I want my every word, every action to say to my children, "I love you, now and always."

3. How do I do that?

As a Follower of Jesus, by seeking God's wisdom and guidance in every single matter, and seeking it first.
As a Wife, by seeing that my husband's needs are met (mostly) without his having to ask. By being respectful of him, regardless of whether or not I'm angry. 
As a Mother, it means often biting my tongue. It means being willing to stop what I am doing (when possible) and give my children my full attention.

Armed with this information, I wrote this:

I want to honour God by loving and serving those closest to me, in whatever way He chooses.

I'm not saying I'll get it right all the time, but that is my heart's desire. 

To that end, I've instituted a few practices this year. 

Getting up before my family, to have a bit of time to drink my coffee in peace, and read my Bible. 

Regular exercise. 

Healthier, more mindful eating. 

Finding better ways of coping with stress. 

Managing my time more wisely.

Maintaining a constant, conversational prayer life.

Doing less, by delegating tasks to my children (age appropriately).

As much as is possible, with four children who are still learning to clean up after themselves, keep a tidy home.

Bedtime is 10pm. Very few exceptions. 

And there you have it. My new plan to have a more efficient, thoughtful, and healthier year. Hopefully, I'll be able to incorporate more regular writing, but it's a busy life raising all these people - so we'll see. 

Love, Sarah

Comments

Steve Finnell said…
you are invited to follow my blog
Lizzy said…
You are an amazing woman Sarah. Some thought provoking inspiration here. Jesus and you - a team that can't be beat! Keep your eyes on him... Bless you heaps :)

Popular posts from this blog

What a relief!

Where Do We Go Next?

Please understand