Just like me...

My firstborn is just like me.

She's clever, imaginative, more than a little bit 'spacey', very friendly, likes painting and other messy pursuits, has a hard time with finishing something before moving on to the next thing, and so on. To observe her, is to see me, 32 years ago. And at times, I find it exasperating. If I looked in the mirror, I'd see the exact same expression on my face that my mom used to have. I've heard myself saying exactly the same things to C that I remember hearing as a child. All through school, a recurring theme to my report cards was "has trouble focusing in class", and "does not finish work on time". I was always in my own private universe, and it was like no one knew how to get there. She is much the same. Occasionally, I get glimpses into her world, but most of the time, it's a place I neither understand, nor could hope to inhabit.

My wish as a parent is that I learn to appreciate her for who she is, spaced outedness and all. That I learn to encourage her personality, and not suppress it.

That she flourishes in her imagination, instead of fighting it. I want her to dream big dreams, travel to distant lands, and live a big life. I want her to believe she can be absolutely anything she wants to be. I want her to look at impossible situations and see challenges to be overcome.

Surely, I want her to learn to function in the world, with its rules and customs. But I want her to do it HER way, not mine. Make your own mistakes, my sweet girl - I've already made mine, and learned from most of them. You have your own lessons to learn, and I will be here for you as you do.

And the next time we're trying to do something, and you get that faraway look in your eyes, I will wonder where it is you are going to in your mind. And maybe, just maybe, you'll take me along with you.

Cheers,
Sarah

Comments

I'd love to join that journey...and I often think the same thing when Jack is spacing out. xoxoox love you muchly

Popular posts from this blog

What a relief!

Where Do We Go Next?

Please understand